Friday, October 21, 2011

The Power of the Written Word

Blond Girl and I were talking the other day and she had me cracking up. She was having a conversation with her math teacher and I imagine it went something like this. 

Math Teacher: "I am not only a Math Teacher I am a Mathematician."
  
Blond Girl looked at her and said: "Mathematician?"

Math Teacher:  "yes, I am also a mathematician, you know a person whose primary area of study is the field of mathematics. Mathematicians are concerned with quantity, structure, space, and change."

Blond Girl: "Oh, I know the definition, I just thought the word was always Mathemagician."

Math Teacher: Mathemagician? Where did you get that term?"


Blond Girl smiles and holds up the book The Phantom Tollbooth and says "From here, see right here in the land of Digitopolis, they have a MATHEMAGICIAN!"

 Amazing isn't it? the power of the written word? She has told me it doesn't matter what the word really is, she is going to continue to call it a mathemagician. Considering the fact that she gives that book credit for making her question things... I guess I will let her call it a mathemagician. I figure any of my grand kids will have to read the book and will think the same thing anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment