Friday, December 5, 2008

Holiday Traditions


Each family has traditions unique to themselves and their heritage. In our house we have managed to combine traditions, create our own and just have some great memories. As I have stated before one of our family traditions is going to the movies on Christmas day, I hope we can manage that this year it is a fun time.

Another thing my kids have always done is slept in the same room Christmas Eve, now of course this year that is not going to be an issue but... over the years it has become a fun tradition.. because yes teenagers that they are they will trudge into a room to be together and watch movies.. knowing that they can not come out until 7am.. If they come out before that Santa may not have been there and they will miss their chance because Santa only comes when children are asleep.. Hey it worked.

Of course this started when they were little and I was trying to put presents together or figure things out late at night.. invariably I would fall asleep and around 6am get myself up and get everything finished in time. And really does it matter? somehow I have managed to make sure my kids do not wake up until 7am on Christmas morning.. what a gift

2 comments:

  1. Being able to spend time together at Christmas is better than any gifts given or received. Going together to the movies sounds like great fun!

    Just wanted to let you know that I've been reading your blog for awhile now and I enjoy it very much. Your relationship and insight into your kids lives is nice to read about. Living with teens can be a trying experience at best but you seem to be doing a great job!

    Cheers and best wishes for a great holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 13 year old son (soon to be 14 year old 3 days after Christmas) and a 15 year old daughter.

    They still have to leave cookies and a beverage out for Santa every Christmas Eve. They always ask Mom what they think Santa would like to drink cause they've got it all figured out. But it makes me smile to think they still HAVE to do it.

    It's also the only night of the year that I don't get any fights about bedtime. When I call bedtime, they hightail it to bed because they know I have a lot of elfin work left to do before Christmas morning.

    http://lolasdiner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete